● Encourage students to explore the rich history, cultural traditions and city development of the Tsim Sha Tsui District
● Encourage students to demonstrate their creativity by designing an ideal community
● Educate the younger generation about the importance of sustainable development in Hong Kong
● Promote the surveying industry to the younger generation by giving them an understanding of surveyor’s role in city development
To better prepare students for the competition, all contestants are required to attend the workshop and guided tour in Tsim Sha Tsui in July to familiarize themselves with the district, including its location characteristics, economic position, site conditions and the relationship with its surrounding area. After the workshop, contestants are required to illustrate a designated area of Tsim Sha Tsui, and to project the district in an ideal state from surveyors’ point of view.
Contestants may also enroll in a GIS Story Map Training Workshop and a Video Workshop, which are optional and free of charge on a first-come-first-served basis, to acquire the useful techniques to prepare for their multimedia entries.
* More details of the scope of competition will be announced in the “Create Your District” Competition 2019 Workshop & Guided Tour.
● All students from secondary schools (F.3 – F.6) in the academic year 2019/20
● Entries are welcomed on either an individual basis or via school application
* For school application, both the participating students and their schools will receive Certificates of Participation upon completion of the Competition.
● Numbers of entries from participating schools are not limited.
● Entries can be submitted by individual or a group of a maximum of 6 students
● There is no admission charge to enter the competition
Each entrant is required to submit the following materials by 6pm, 16 September to:
Corporate Communications Department
The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors
Room 1205, 12/F, Wing On Centre,
111 Connaught Road Central,
Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
Monday to Friday: 9am – 6pm
Saturday: 9am – 12:30pm
Sunday and Public Holidays: Closed
* 13 September (Mid-Autumn Festival): 9am – 4pm.
(1) Project description of a maximum of 500 words (in Chinese or English) to illustrate how the design concept demonstrates the district in an ideal state, and how the proposed or desired cityscape shows the works of surveyors.
(2) Competition entry
To encourage creativity and innovative thinking, there are two categories on the formats of the competition entry. They include:
|3D Model||No larger than A1 size||● A1: 594mm (D) x 841mm (W) x 400mm (H)|
|Multimedia category||Video||No more than 3 minutes||● Stored in USB or downloadable link|
● Web site link
● Please return the original copy of the form of Undertaking
● Contestant can enter the competition in either one or two categories, i.e. 3D model OR/AND multimedia category.
● All entries can be submitted in person or by post. Please make sure all entries are well-packed.
● HKIS shall not be held responsible for any competition entries that are damaged or lost in transit.
a. To understand different aspects in developing a community
b. Ability to demonstrate the elements of surveyors’ scope of work*
c. Effectiveness of Presentation
d. Creativity and Innovation
* Details to be introduced in the Competition Workshop
All winning individuals and teams will be awarded with below prizes in the Award Ceremony.
|Category: 3D Model||Category: Multimedia Category|
|Champion||Trophy + Certificate + HK$10,000 Cash Coupon||Trophy + Certificate + HK$15,000 Cash Coupon|
|1st Runner Up||Trophy + Certificate + HK$7,000 Cash Coupon||Trophy + Certificate + HK$10,000 Cash Coupon|
|2nd Runner Up||Trophy + Certificate + HK$3,000 Cash Coupon||Trophy + Certificate + HK$5,000 Cash Coupon|
|Creativity Award||Trophy + Certificate + HK$1,500 Cash Coupon|
|Merit Award||Certificate + HK$500 Cash Coupon|
● Winning entries will be displayed in public exhibition(s) and online.
● Certificates of Participation will be granted to all candidates who completed the competition in recognition of their contributions.
* Value of prizes will be the same irrespective of whether the winning entry is a group of work or submitted by individual entrant.